Send As SMS

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

 

Discussing Divorce....

While riding in the car with my five year old son earlier today, I decided to turn up a road that I had never driven on. I had always wondered what was down the road and seeing as I had some time to spare I decided to take a look. It turns out it was a dead end, but there was a nice neighborhood about half way down. I drove into the neighborhood to look around a little and my son began commenting on the houses. He asked if I wanted to move to a new home. I told him it would be cool, but asked if he would move with me. He thought about it for a second, then said he would but he’d be worried about his Mom. He wondered if I would call her and tell her where he lived if we moved. I assured him I would, because after all, she’d have to know where to come to pick him up every other weekend. Then the awkward questions began: “Why were you married to Mom and now you aren’t married to her?” “We decided we wanted to not be married, and just be friends.” (Yeah, friends...right) “Who’s idea was it to not be married anymore? You or Mom.” “We both decided together.” Of course that’s not true, but it’s the best I could come up with. He seemed okay with my answers and went on to talk about other, non related, things. I’ve often wondered what he must think about the whole divorce thing. He was two and a half when his Mother left, so he most likely has little or no memories of when we were a family living together. He has lived under a roof with Susan as his step mom just as long as he lived full time with his birth mom. I’m sure we’ll be talking about it someday. Today was the first time he’s even brought it up. I wonder what goes through his head. Should I talk to him about it, and if so what would you suggest I say? Maybe I should just wait till he’s a little older. Do any of y’all have any experience with this sort of thing?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?