Send As SMS

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

 

A Pioneer Passes Away...

The fine lady who stood up to inequality in Montgomery, Alabama back on December 1, 1955 died yesterday. She was 92. She was quite the rebel. Imagine if you will, you are a black woman prior to the civil rights movement and you live in the deep south. You refuse to give up your seat on a public bus to a white man. You're a streamtress by trade and a member of the NAACP. You aren't asking for drama, you just want to sit where it's comfortable for you and dammit, you should have the right to sit where ever you want. Your actions spark the bus boycott in Montgomery which pretty much shuts down public transportation for months. In 1992 Ms. Parks said history maintains..."that my feet were hurting and I didn't know why I refused to stand up when they told me. But the real reason of my not standing up was I felt that I had a right to be treated as any other passenger. We had endured that kind of treatment for too long." She was a wise woman and a revolutionary. She was jailed and fined $14 for breaking the law. She was instrumental in starting the Civil Right's movement. She was an awesome woman. Rest In Peace Rosa Parks.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?