Send As SMS

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

 

The Party In My Sack Sac…

I honestly don’t have much to tell you all about today, but I thought I should write something anyway. I’d hate to disappoint you all. As expected it was a pretty laid back time around here over this Labor Day weekend. Not much happened other than sleeping late, eating and drinking too much, movie watching, shopping and book reading. Oh, but there was the party… In the nearly three years I have lived here on my cul-de-sac there had been one family who drove the rest of us to distraction. Let’s call them the Marshes. Things went down hill for me and my relations with them when my ex wife, who was my soon to be ex at the time, took it upon herself to tell Mama Marsh that I wanted to have a “swinging experience” with them. Of course this wasn’t true, she was only trying to ruin any friendships I might have had once she realized I was keeping the house. Let’s say Mr. Marsh wasn’t happy when his wife told him what my wife had said. He understood when I assured him that FA was a lying lunatic, but still, the relationship was damaged. Then there were experiences the other neighbors had with them. Everything from Mama Marsh trying to run the kids down in the street with her car, to her yelling obscenities to the other Mothers on the street. Then there was the time that Mr. Marsh got mad at the family immediately to the left of their house and pelted the homeowner’s truck with rocks one stormy Saturday night. It was never proven he did it, but the rocks were similar to some Mr. Marsh had in a flower bed in his back yard. All of this drama, and believe me there was a whole lot more, came to an end about three weeks ago when the Marshes closed on their house, moved out and a new lady (25 yr old single chick) moved in. Needless to say we were all very happy to see them gone. Immediately two of the families on our street decided to have a “block party” in celebration of the Marsh exodus and Susan and I got in on the planning. Sunday was the party with several families on our cul-de-sac, and we all had a great time. “The Party in the Sac”, as I called it, went from around 4 Sunday afternoon till after 9 that evening. Each family brought something to contribute to the barbeque prepared by the originators of the event. I made corn on the cob and baked beans. The beans were quite good. I am sure those of you within 500 square miles of here might have noticed the cloud of noxious gas hovering over this part of central Alabama. Saturday was the beginning of the 2005 football season for the University of Tennessee. The Vols took on the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) in their season opener. It was expected to be a bit of a blow out, but alas that wasn’t to be. UT did win, 17-10, but they struggled at times. Granted, UAB has an excellent quarterback, but as usual Tennessee made some stupid mistakes. Especially with our fairly rookie quarterback, Eric Ainge. Although he did throw for a touchdown, he still threw two interceptions, one which set UAB up for their only TD. Rick Clausen came out and did quite well performing, in my opinion, much better than Ainge. I hope to see him starting in two weeks against Florida. Seeing the Vols struggle at times, like they did Saturday, was a bit scary, but then Susan reminded me of the first game of the 1998 season. You know, the season where Tennessee went undefeated and won the National Championship. I won’t go into details about the similarities because you’re most likely skimming over this part anyway. Suffice it to say, they barely beat Syracuse that year and struggled through the next couple of games, then came out on top. One last thing before I close this up. QoP and I have started a little blogger book club (I actually typed boob instead of book and just had to go back and edit….how funneh!) We’re reading The Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. It’s pretty interesting stuff if you like history and books about the War of Northern Aggression. Of course I’m sure it wouldn’t have been her first choice, but methinks she’s kinda liking it now! Thankfully her husband was able to explain to her which side was the Yankees and which was the Confederates. Uh, yeah…that’s kinda sad! Just kidding (a little) Queen. Don’t go getting your panties in a….wait, never mind. Anyway, if any of you would be interested in joining our little club, feel free. Get the book and start reading! It’s only $17.47 at Wal-Mart. It’s worth it, trust me!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?